Skip to main content


Find what you need in our searchable FAQ.

How do I prove residency if I lived out of state or out of district before?

396 views   |   0 Vote this question as useful.   0 Vote this question as not useful.   |   Last updated on Dec 15, 2020    residency tuition


In district residency verification documentation must be dated at least thirty (30) days prior to the start of classes. In district residency is verified at orientation. If, after the initial verification, there is reason to believe the student’s residency is no longer in district, we will require verification documentation again if the student wishes to be charged in-district tuition. Reasons may include return mail or request for address change from out of district to in district. Students can demonstrate eligibility for in-district tuition rates in one of the following ways:

  • Provide a driver’s license or state-issued identification card or U.S. or international government-issued identification card with an in-district address dated at least thirty (30) days prior to the start of the term.
  • Provide at least two of the following: Signed lease, utility bill or tax bill in the student’s name, or voter’s registration card.
  • Each semester, students who are employed for at least 35 hours per week in the district must provide 1) a recent pay stub and 2) documentation of hours worked per week on employer letterhead or on forms available at or in the Registration Department. The documentation must be dated no earlier than thirty (30) days prior to registration.
  • Students utilizing benefits under the federal Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 or any subsequent variation of that Act (per Public Act 098-0306) must provide DD214 form or an eligibility letter.
  • Students who are enrolled through a joint agreement must provide the required documentation per that agreement for in-district tuition for applicable courses.
  • Students who are approved for study under the federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) and who are residents of any of the signatory Illinois community college districts must provide required documentation per that agreement for in-district tuition for applicable courses.
  • Students matriculating directly from an in-district high school may provide a valid high school ID and a current high school transcript displaying the student's in-district home address.
  • In district residency is assumed for public high school students participating in a dual credit or other contractual programs between ECC and the public high school since high school enrollment is based on residency in the district. Once students in these programs matriculate into ECC independent of these contractual programs, residency verification will be required.
  • Students who are homeless can present a card provided by PADS of Elgin to verify they are staying there. Students staying at other homeless shelters should be referred to the Senior Director of Admissions and Registrar to discuss options including what appropriate documentation may be provided to demonstrate residency.
  • Active full and part-time ECC employees who live out of district must request email verification of employment status from the ECC HR benefits office each semester for in-district tuition rates for themselves, their spouses, and dependents. The tuition rate charged is not impacted by an eligibility for tuition reimbursement. Employees covered by bargaining unit agreements should consult their contract for reimbursement details.


First Stop

Building A, Room A100